Re: [Xen-API] XcP 1.6 Beta - watchout to not import corrupted XVA - VDI impossible to destroy & no task/operation to cancel ! (UPDATE : fix/workaround found!)

  • To: xen-api@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: George Shuklin <george.shuklin@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2012 03:50:47 +0400
  • Delivery-date: Tue, 09 Oct 2012 23:51:06 +0000

Well, actually that problem is very easy to fix.

when you importing, XCP creates temporal vbd (link) between VDI and dom0 (control domain - that domain actually reply to ping for host and do all job to serve other domains). After that xapi (core part of xcp) performs unpacking and vdi filling.

When operation stalls (bad, bad, looks like a bug), manual fix is very simple:

a) find who is connected to VDI. Very easy - search xapi output for vbd, connected to control domains (if you have more that one host; if you using single host, control domain is unique).

next: attempt to do vbd-unplug. If it fails you need to terminate process, which keeps vbd unpluggable. Usually it is the xapi or some hanged tapdisk you cat detect by content of /proc/PID/fd symlinks to VDI path (xvda, xvdb and so on for XCP 1.1, /dev/sm/... for XCP 1.6).

You can restart xapi toolstack with command xe-toolstack-restart.

After that vbd can be unplugged (if not, yes, host reset is last option), and you can destroy 'bad' VDI (xe vbd-unplug, xe vdi-destroy).

Kinda easy if you will look to xapi not as black box with strange properties.