[Xen-API] XCP Pool - strange state

  • To: "xen-api@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xen-api@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: Brian Menges <bmenges@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 1 Nov 2012 17:34:47 -0700
  • Accept-language: en-US
  • Acceptlanguage: en-US
  • Delivery-date: Fri, 02 Nov 2012 00:35:06 +0000

I’ve tried now in both beta2 and beta3, I define a pool with a single master, or a pool with a master and 1 other slave and I end up with the same state. When the slave joins, it looks like the storage repos of the slave are known to the master (local storage, removable storage, and dvd drives show up under the master not indented, but disconnected with red icon and slash), and the slave node is no where listed. When I connect to the console, it thinks it is connected. After a reboot, it doesn’t know anything about its networking, storage repos, etc.

I’ve tried the emergency network reset and nothing has changed.

The slave believes it has a master, and any command line interactions with xe results in the message:
“The master says the host is not known to it. Perhaps the Host was deleted from the master's database? Perhaps the slave is pointing to the wrong master?”

… followed by the host UUID.

I’ve been able to reproduce this 100% of the time with both beta 2 and 3 of XCP 1.6. XCP 1.1 and 1.5 I can create a pool and join them together without issue.

The only thing that I do before joining these to a pool is removing the EXT3 ‘Local storage’ SR, and re-adding it back as an LVM SR. Is this another known bug?

- Brian Menges

Principal Engineer, DevOps

GoGrid | ServePath | ColoServe | UpStream Networks

The information contained in this message, and any attachments, may contain confidential and legally privileged material. It is solely for the use of the person or entity to which it is addressed. Any review, retransmission, dissemination, or action taken in reliance upon this information by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you receive this in error, please contact the sender and delete the material from any computer.