Re: [Xen-API] Last round of XCP bug squashing in Debian Wheezy, before the release

  • To: xen-api@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: Gémes Géza <geza@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 04 Nov 2012 08:04:29 +0100
  • Delivery-date: Sun, 04 Nov 2012 07:05:10 +0000

Sorry for just a partial answer, but I'm mainly (just) an XCP user (while running a few debian DomUs)
Hi,

I've been trying to fix several bugs in XCP, before the Debian 7
release. It's not bug free yet, but it's going into that direction. I
would need some help to fix the remaining!

1/ The new 1.3.2-12 release
The Debian release team has already accepted an unblock for this new
version that I uploaded in Debian SID. Here's the debian/changelog:

* Fixes bashism in install-debian-pv.sh (Closes: #690612).
* Fixes bashism in interface-visualise (Closes: #690710).
* The /etc/init.d/xcp-squeezed script now depends on /etc/init.d/xen
since it has been renamed like this from xend. For this reason,
xcp-squeezed now depends on xen-utils-common (>= 4.1.3-3) (Closes: #682202).
* Downgrades openvswitch dependencies to Recommends: (Closes: #686779).
* Few corrections in the README.Debian (Closes: #682122, #682120).

After 10 days without new open bug on these issues, I will ask for such
an unblock. I'm particularly happy that #682202 can be closed.

2/ Fixed stuff for future 1.3.2-13
In the mean time, I've been trying to work on version 1.3.2-13. I have
already fixed these:

* Fixes: wait_for_xapi() function in init.d script doesn't work on slave
hosts (Closes: #681343), thanks to George Shuklin
<george.shuklin@xxxxxxxxx> for the report and patch.
* Fixes: scripts/set-hostname was designed for CentOS, this has been
patched to fix this (Closes: #688961).

3/ scripts/xe-reset-networking: How to fix #687284?
Now, an easy question for fixing #687284. In it, we have:
management_conf = '/etc/firstboot.d/data/management.conf'

Should this be set to:
/var/lib/xcp/firstboot.d/data/management.conf

or to:
/var/lib/xcp/firstboot.d/management.conf

???

Also, the script has:
os.system("/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/interface-rename.py
--reset-to-install")

this is CentOS specific as well. What should be done to it? What does
interface-rename.py do in CentOS?

In fact, most of this scripts/xe-reset-networking has been designed for
CentOS, and would need a full rewrite. I could try rewriting it, if
someone tells me what's the purpose of this script.

4/ scripts/xe-edit-bootloader: #675055

Could someone look into fixing that one? What is the purpose of this
script? Is it ok that it seem to support only Grub 1, and not Grub 2?
It can edit grub2 grub.cfg too. It is very useful in case someone has made her/his PV DomU unbootable. It mounts a partition from the DomU disk and launches an editor which edits the grub config file, after it gets closed, unmounts the partition and finishes.

5/ XAPI bugs: #675052, #678723

These are quite annoying, yet are dealing with the XAPI internals, and I
believe it would be a lot quicker if Mike or Jon could have a look and
fix it themselves. Please help me to fix these!!!

So, to summarize the work to be done to fix all bugs in XCP in Debian:

#687284, #675055: scripts/xe-reset-networking and
scripts/xe-edit-bootloader would need to be rewrote / rethought for Debian

#675052, #678723: would need attention from upstream.

We're nearly close to a clean package with no bugs just right before the
Wheezy release. I would really be nice to see these 4 remaining issue
closed. PLEASE HELP!

Cheers,

Thomas Goirand (zigo)

Regards