Re: [Xen-API] How to create Templates for Network Installs that need additional Kernel-parameters ?? eliloader.py - patch suggestion

Hi Grant,

It's just counter inutive and unreasonable for me to have a "template" that I have to clone and THEN set kickstart options and stuff before the first start for each and every VM - I want TEMPLATES that already include every information needed that work after just doublecklicking them in XenCenter!.

It does not seem logical to me to have a template - but to have to set installation specific data(ks= ksdevice=)  for each and every VM *AFTER* creating it from the template everytime but before starting it - This is not good usability in my eyes and also much too complicated to be used for every average user.

When you populate other-config:install-repository only the mirror is known to the installer but nothing of the above - no ksdevice, ks=URL, ... The same - if not even worse applies to debian-preseed installations.

xe vm-param-set uuid=$VMUUID PV-args="ks= ...."
But for PV-args to work you have to use the commandline AFTER starting a VM created from Template - this does not semm to be an intelligent nor usable approach to me - using my approach you create a template supply the information there and just double-click it in XenCenter check "start automatically" and you're done .. This way I'dont have to tell regular users to fiddle with a quite complicated commandline - in order to setup a kickstarted VM!

Anyway - Thanks a lot for sharing your fine tutorial
Cheers

Andreas