Re: [Xen-API] How to create Templates for Network Installs that need additional Kernel-parameters ?? eliloader.py - patch suggestion

On Wed, Nov 7, 2012 at 5:50 AM, Andreas Balg <a.balg@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi Grant,

Maybe I just don't get your idea - or maybe you don't get mine. If I make a clone of e.g. a CentOS 6 Template - How am I supposed to put the corresponding kickstart URLs and other parameters like "ksdevice, ip=dhcp, ..." already inside this very template? Why? So Joe average can come along double click the CentOS 6 - template and voila - gets his preconfigured CentOS-system up and running some minutes afterr.

It's clear I'm not understanding what you're trying to accomplish. I don't use a gui to manage my XCP/Xenserver systems. If you clone the CentOS6 template can you not just edit the template to include the Other:config options you need? From that point forward it would have those options correct ? Or do you want there to be templates already with your options already in them? Still not understanding, sorry.
According to your setup he'd have to know the URL of the kickstart-file and he would have to answer initial questions about the NIC used to bootstrap the machine and much more - this is by no meeans hands-off or automatic isn't it - I don't want it that way and I need that already predefined in a template - This is exactly what I asked for and what could be done with the patch to XenServers eliloader I already included in my post.

Only if that's the way you set it up. My tutorials are completely automated. I don't know if you can do the same thing from the GUI or not.
So myÂquestion was: Is there already a way to do this the way I need it or do I have to patch eliloader (which is not very nice of course) - Or ask for possible inclusion of such a patch or similar thing in XenServer/XCP. ...

Your solution - and the (same) way documented in XenServer is allright for your needs , but nevermind, not at all for mine as it seems to me right now.

Cheers
Andreas