[Xen-API] Can't Start any VM's from NFS Repository

  • To: xen-api@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: Camron Lent <camronlent@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 9 Nov 2012 02:18:38 -0700
  • Delivery-date: Fri, 09 Nov 2012 09:18:55 +0000

I am not sure where else to turn. This is essentially what happened.

We had an XCP 1.5 pool with 2 machines as hosts. The storage pool which is NFS mounted lost its ability to export the filesystem with the VM images on it...

We contacted the vendor and were able to restore it. However, they had recommended that we delete the XCP Pool, recreate it, add the hosts back in, and then mount the storage.

This is where we are now. We can see the storage and the VM images. However in XCP Xen Center when looking at the images it's clear that the metadata is lost. So we can not see which image or snap-shot belongs to which VM. The names are all blank when we look at the storage.

I've gone down the route of randomly selecting VM's with the hope that I'd find the right one... because everything I've tried so far has failed. I am able to run the vdh-util to see the top-level VDH's and I've tried booting from each level to see if I can get any result. The same thing occurs each time. I get "The SR failed to complete the operation".

I would be happy if I could just get to the data, but the snapshotting process leaves a trail of incremental difference files (at least it appears that way). I am currently at a loss as to what to do.

If anyone knows a trick to try, or how to undo the horrible mistake we've made please let me know at camronlent@xxxxxxxxx

Thanks,
Camron Lent