Re: [Xen-API] importing XCP 1.1 vm installed template into xcp 1.6 beta

Hi Mike,

today I have tried importing vm template (ie a xcp vm with
is-a-template=true) from XCP 1.1 into XCP 1.6 and it failed, both
througth xencenter 6.1 and from command line. The command seems to run
fine, and I even get a uuid back, but nothing on the server

# /opt/xensource/bin/xe  -s 192.168.1.10 -u root -pw xxxxxxxxx vm-import
filename=modele-wheezy-32bit.xva preserve=true
78d27fd4-c8ff-2271-fb3a-3d2464366354

The transfer time seems ok. However

# xe vm-list uuid=78d27fd4-c8ff-2271-fb3a-3d2464366354
-> returns nothing.

# xe template-list   uuid=78d27fd4-c8ff-2271-fb3a-3d2464366354
uuid ( RO)                : 78d27fd4-c8ff-2271-fb3a-3d2464366354
            name-label ( RW): modele-wheezy-32bit
      name-description ( RW):

It seems that the 1.6 import mechanism mistook my vm-template with a
standard template...

There is no such thing as a standard template. Your template is no
different than the templates that are included with XCP.

A template is just a VM with the is-a-template flag set to true. That's
it, nothing special. It can have VDIs attached to it too.

When you install a VM, the template is cloned, and the is-template flag
is set to false. If there is a 'disks' key in the other-config, then
vm-install will create disks as specified. If the template has VDIs
attached, then those will be copied at attached to the new VM.

Thanks for you answer. So there is no difference between a VM, a template with attached VDI (shown with a blue icon in XenCenter), and a template without attached VDI (shown in yellow in XenCenter).

The xe template-* command lines are misleading since they are just a xe vm-* command line with is-a-template=true. Is there a command line to get the VDI uuid from a template?

Anyway, my initial problem was an import error of a template-with-attached-VDI exported from XCP 1.1 and imported into XCP 1.6 beta2 (tried on a standalone server and a 2 nodes pool). It seems that the VDI is not properly imported. After import, when trying to create a new VM from template, it tells me that it cannot clone VDI.

I'll try to look in the log if I can spot anything interesting.

Thanks,

Denis

My vm has a VDI defined, but it does not exist when looking directly at
the lvm directory /dev/VG....

Template import/export from 1.6 to 1.6 works fine. So this looks like a
bug, is there anyway I could import my template into 1.6?

You already have, it seems. Try doing 'xe vm-install
template=model-wheezy-32bit new-name-label=i-hope-this-works'.

By the way, the name template is kind of misleading, as it can be either
a vm with is-a-template=true, or a template xen object.

As I said before, there is only one type of template, and that is just a
VM with the is-a-template key set to true. Hope this helps,

Mike

--
Denis Cardon
Tranquil IT Systems