Re: [Xen-API] XCP 1.6 Beta: Storage XenMotion from command line

I couldn't find the syntax you provided in the XS6.1 Admin Guide or the VM Users Guide so wouldn't have found found out without your help, so thanks.

I tried the vdi-pool-migrate command which worked well with a VM running.

I didn't try the new syntax for vm-migrate yet.  Being able to move VMs live between pools (which would include single host pools), and to individual hosts within external pools, is a hugely useful capability for a number of reasons.  The team which implemented this should be commended.

So thanks again for your help.

On Sat, Nov 24, 2012 at 1:40 AM, Mike McClurg <mike.mcclurg@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 23/11/12 13:20, Black Bird wrote:
> reading the description of Storage XenMotion in the Xenserver VM User
> Guide, I get the impression that this function is only supported through
> the use of XenCenter.
>
> Is there a way of achieving the same outcome using the command line?
>  And should Storage XenMotion work on XCP or only on XenServer
> Enterprise Edition?

Storage XenMotion works on XCP, and can be executed from the command
line or the XenAPI.

The syntax for executing a storage motion from the command line is 'xe
vm-migrate remote-master=<network address> remote-user=<root>
uuid>:<remote sr uuid> [destination-sr-uuid=<remote sr uuid>]'. If you
find that difficult to remember, try 'xe help vm-migrate'.

It's also possible to move a VM's disks while the VM is running, using
the new command 'xe vdi-pool-migrate'.

Mike