Re: [Xen-API] XCP 1.6 VM operating system not detected

Hi lars,

I created a new VM today, using the Windows 7 64-bit template, then
restored an Acronis image of a Windows 7 workstation.

After booting into Windows, XenCenter lists the Operating System of the
VM as "Unknown". This results in me not being able to install xstools
(Unable to detect a valid platform. Do you still want to continue?).

I have since tried restoring a backup of a completely different machine
with the same result.

How does XCP go about detecting the installed VM? Why are my VM's
properties not being displayed properly and how do I go about working
around this? Any ideas?

I guess that if the VM is not paravirt and there is no tools installed, the dom0 has no way to known what is running inside.

You should be able to install the tools by attaching the xs-tools.iso CDrom and running the setup exe on there. Afterward your VM should be detected properly.

Hope this helps,

Denis

Thanks!

This body part will be downloaded on demand.

--
Denis Cardon
Tranquil IT Systems