Re: [Xen-API] Install Debian/32

Hi Peter,

I was wondering how to install Debian/32 with XenCenter (version 6.1)
with XCP (version 1.6).

I select the VM template "Debian Squeeze 6.0 (32-bit)" in XenCenter and
select the ISO "debian-6.0.6-i386-netinst.iso".

The log panel shows:

Dec 12, 2012 10:01:44 AM Action: Create VM 'Debian Squeeze 6.0 (32-bit)
(1)' - VM successfully created

Dec 12, 2012 10:01:54 AM Error: Starting VM 'Debian Squeeze 6.0 (32-bit)
(1)' - Internal error: xenopsd internal error:
XenguestHelper.Xenctrl_dom_linux_build_failure(2, " elf_xen_note_check:
ERROR: Will only load images built \\\"")

The VM template "Debian Squeeze 6.0 (64-bit)" template works.

P.S: I also tried the templates "Ubuntu Lucid Lynx 10.04 (32-bit)" and
"Ubuntu Lucid Lynx 10.04 (64-bit)" where I can not select an ISO for the
installation. Are these too "exotic" distributions or how do you guys
proceed? Are you guys not using XenCenter to setup/install the VMs?

I've never tried to use install iso when installing debian squeeze. The traditional way to use a full net install. That is, when the vm starts, it downloads a vmlinuz kernel and a initrd from debian.org ftp, and then starts the installer using those two files in RAM. You can tell the install url when creating the vm, it should be something like http://ftp.debian.org/debian . You must make sure that your dom0 can access the internet though, otherwise you must set a local repository.

In the past I've seen a few times when the vmlinuz and initrd were corrupted, so it may have been the case when you tried your install.

If you want to use iso anyway, you can still use the "other install media" option, and convert your linux vm to paravirt afterward.

hope this helps,

Denis

Thx & cheers,
Peter

This body part will be downloaded on demand.

--
Denis Cardon
Tranquil IT Systems