[Xen-API] How to do OVF import, export without XenCenter

  • To: xen-api@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: Werdna Cht <chtwerdna@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 24 Dec 2012 20:32:41 +0800
  • Delivery-date: Mon, 24 Dec 2012 12:33:10 +0000

Hello all:

I've posted this on citrix forum but didn't get any response, so I came here for help.

When using XenServer or XCP, we can use many ways to import / export xva files.
  1. Use XenCenter
  2. Use xe cli, such as:
    xe vm-import filename=<backup>
    xe vm-export vm=<vm_uuid> filename=<backup>
  3. Use http request, such as:
    curl -T <exportfile> http://root:foo@myxenserver/import
    curl http://root:foo@myxenserver/export?uuid=<vm_uuid> -o <exportfile>
    (This is useful for any programming language to implement the import /export function)
But when it comes to OVF format, it seems that there is only one way to do it:
  1. Use XenCenter
I want to know is there any http calls to do the OVF import / export?
If there's not, how does XenCenter do the job?
Is there any sequence of calling the python plugins on host?
I know there are many plugins about the Transfer VM in /etc/xapi.d/plugins/.
And using Java SDK or python I can fully make use of the plugins.
But what I can't find out are the whole process, sequense of the api or plugin calls.
Is there any manual, tutorial or sample codes for that?

Also there is a key question:
For XenCenter, is it just making simple requests to the host, transfer VM?
If so, I can use Java SDK or python to do the job.
Or it is also involved in the work, like previous version of XenConvert?
For this case, it means that for now we can't do OVF import / export without XenCenter?

Besides OVF import /export, can we do vmdk, vhd import without XenCenter?

Thanks for the help.