Re: [Xen-API] look into VHD VDI from Control Domain in XCP 1.6

  • To: xen-api@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: Alexandre Kouznetsov <alk@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 05 Jan 2013 01:33:40 -0600
  • Delivery-date: Sat, 05 Jan 2013 07:33:52 +0000

Hello.

El 04/01/13 23:14, George Shuklin escribiÃ:
Use xe vbd-create between vdi and dom0 (which is normal VM mostly), and
xe vbd-plug.
Yes, that's what I have done following the example from Citrix forum.

In case of a normal DomU:
I create VBD linking the VM with VDI,
I issue vbd-plug,
the block device becomes visible in dmesg under DomU.

In case of Dom0:
I create VBD linking the VM (vm-list refers to it as "Control Domain", no mistake) with VDI,
I issue vbd-plug,
no sign of the new block device in dmesg or under /dev.

You can see some sample usage in 'xe-edit-bootloader' command (somewhere
in /opt/xensource/)
Hm. I believe I'm doing it just the same way as in the script, except by the "device=" directive for vbd-create, use specific string like "xvdn". Should it make the difference? Can't test, I shot down my testing range before leaving the office.

So, must I understand that the XCP's regular way of manipulating VDI's contents from within Dom0, is attaching the VDI to it via a VBD? Looks like a good abstraction, except that it won't work that easily on a host without XCP infrastructure (for example, in some rescue scenario).

Then, what vhdpartx is good for?

Cheers.