[Xen-API] Storage XenMotion - Just sync

  • To: xen-api@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: Chris Dutton <chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 9 Jan 2013 14:27:59 -0800
  • Delivery-date: Thu, 10 Jan 2013 01:07:40 +0000

Hello,

What I am trying to accomplish is keep a vm on one host (a) in sync with another vm on host (b). They are both using local storage for the SR, which led me to investigate SXM. But it looks like it does just a little more then I want.

From the Storage XenMotion wiki page:

Each of a VM’s disks are snapshotted, and from the point of the snapshot onwards, all of the disk’s writes are synchronously mirrored to the destination storage repository. In the background, the snapshotted disk is copied to the destination location. Once a snapshot has finished copying, the next disk to be migrated is snapshot/mirrored.

What I am hoping to do is everything except the last step (the actual migration).

Is it possible to pass a flag (maybe undocumented) that could accomplish this? Or does someone know the list of commands that may accomplish this.

The sync does not necessarily have to be synchronous for my situation, so maybe run a sync as a cron job but when a sync happens I only want the deltas copied (not a full snapshot).

Thanks in advance.