[Xen-API] [XCP 1.6] broad-/multicast & Open vSwitch & SLB bonding -> FAIL

  • To: xen-api@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: Markus Schuster <ml@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2013 14:09:12 +0100
  • Delivery-date: Wed, 16 Jan 2013 13:10:42 +0000
  • Followup-to: gmane.comp.emulators.xen.api

Hi everybody,

I'm not sure if this is the best place to discuss this issue or if the Open
vSwitch mailinglist might be better, but let's try:

We have a pool of XCP 1.6 (final) hosts using Open vSwitch. Two NICs form an
active/active SLB bond for network connectivity.
Recently we migrated a two node Tomcat cluster to this environment and those
two VMs had a very hard time beeing reachable from the outside. After
investigating the problem a bit further we learned Tomcat is using multicast
for cluster communication and that's where the problem started.
Open vSwitch sends out the multicast frames on ALL physical interfaces
belonging to the SLB bond. That causes a lot of confusion on the physical
switches that XCP hosts are connected to (VM MAC addresses jumping between
ports multiple times a second).
After investigating that even further, I noticed the very same problem is
happening not only for multicast frames, but even for normal broadcast
frames (ARP, broadcast ping, ...) - luckily Linux servers don't sent that
much broadcast traffic :)

We spent a few hours digging in the Open vSwitch source code and it looks
like there's some special handling for broad-/multicast frames - flooding
them out all ports but the port it came in (classic bridge behavior) - but
there seems to be no special handling for the SLB case where I'd expect to
see those packets only on the active slave for the MAC/VLAN combination of
the sending VM.

Hope someone can help.

Regards,
Markus