[Xen-API] VM DNS Resolution Head-scratcher

  • To: xen-api@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: Drew Brown <dbrown@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2013 11:16:38 -0500
  • Delivery-date: Mon, 21 Jan 2013 16:18:29 +0000

Hi all, thanks for taking time to read this.

I've got a two-week-old XCP 1.6 install that I'm trying out for my environment. It's running on a single-nic server I have lying around, and has been running about 6 VMs at any given time. So far, so good.

Over the weekend we had a power outage that caused the server to go down. When I brought everything back up, I noticed one problem - that most of the VMs can't ping dns names (yahoo.com). They will ping ip addresses however on the internal network and across the internet. The host XCP machine has no DNS issues, and the switch appears to be acting fine.

I have about 11 vms built, all ubuntu 12.04, built based on the 64-bit template. I built them by creating two gold images, and then copying those images to create the other vms using Fast Clone. I tested each vm, and what I found is as follows:

- The gold vms resolve DNS just fine
- One of the non-gold images resolves just fine
- all the other "copies" of the gold images do not resolve

The one catch here is, I may have created the one aforementioned working non-gold from scratch; e.g. it may not be a copy. If that's the case, then all the copies aren't resolving DNS, and all the originals are - but I'm not sure. Also of note, every time I make a copy of either of the gold images, DNS resolution is not working in the copy.

Every vm has a static ip address in the 192.168.1.x range. No network configuration issues have been noted in /etc/network/interfaces. I have deleted and created new virtual nics on several virtual servers to no avail. I attempted to change network setting on the host machine to no avail. I have xs-tools running on all vms, and reinstalled it on one of the copies to no avail.

Finally, I just installed a fresh VM from the standard Ubuntu 64 bit template, and it works great.

Thoughts?

Drew