[Xen-API] Storage of VM metadata

  • To: xen-api@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: "Alex O'Ree" <spyhunter99@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 1 Mar 2013 16:37:31 -0500
  • Delivery-date: Fri, 01 Mar 2013 21:37:48 +0000

I keep having reliability issues with XCP 1.6 resource pools. I'm
still not sure what the cause is, however the pool masters seems to
suddenly forget that there's network cards attached. This somehow
starts a chain reaction against the remaining pool members. I've also
tried the "emergency network restart" which fails completely; timeouts
and red undescriptive error messages.

I've also check for logs but was unable to find anything of value.

The only solution I've found is to reinstalled XCP from the ISO, then
remount the SR (via a NFS share). I'm ok with this, however the real
problem is that the metadata which assoicates the VMs to the VHD seems
to be getting lost in the process (shouldn't this be stored in the SR
anyhow?). I've had all members in the pool setup for automatic
metadata backups, but I don't see anything stored on the SR that would
indicate that a backup was performed. I've previously labeled all VHD
to make this process easier, however that data gets lost too!

The irritating part is that I need to mount in each VHD to a test VM,
boot it up and try to identify it, then relabel the VHD and repeat.

So here's my questions
1) how can I prevent or restore networking when this happens?
2) where are the metadata backups stored?
3) where is the metadata stored in general?
4) where are the logs related to a situation like this?