[Xen-API] Emulated serial timeout of guest machines

  • To: xen-api@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: Pugnator <ookami@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 03 Mar 2013 18:51:51 +0400
  • Delivery-date: Sun, 03 Mar 2013 14:52:08 +0000

I need to access guest vms even if they are out of network: some tests in my environment should be processed without network or with only one NIC that have private IP and I can't use it remotely.

I need to send system commands, upload files, watch activities, collect data (that all for software automation) As there is no "client API" like VIX, I tried to workaround it via emulated serial.
I enabled emulated serial on each vm like this:

xe vm-shutdown force=true uuid=XXXXXXXX
xe vm-param-remove param-name=other-config param-key=hvm_serial uuid=XXXXXXXX
xe vm-param-set uuid=XXXXXX other-config:hvm_serial=" tcp:XXXXXXX:YYYY"
xe vm-start uuid=XXXXXXXXX

On guest machine (HVM, Lin and Win) there is perl terminal client to receive and send data back. All ok, I can manage guest machine and send files. But there are some issues:

1) If TCP client is down when guest VM is started, there is no way to reconnect again. The only way is to reboot guest or suspend/resume it. Also if connection lost during work it is also need to reboot guest.
Is there any way to restart this service somehow?

2) If I send data in one peace guest stops receiving data after 4096 bytes. Guest VM should send at least one byte back and it can receive data again.
Is it ok or it can be set up somewhere?