Re: [Xen-API] Live mirgration w/ XCP

Hi Ryan,

there are two types of Livemigration, XM and SXM.

XM is XenMotion - and means that you can migrate a VM while it's running from one XCP host to another, utilising a shared Storage that both Hosts can access.

SXM is StorageXenMotion and was introduced with XCP 1.6. It in fact can completely move a VM while it's running on one Host to another and also move the VDI to the Host where it will run locally. And yes, you can also move from a local SR to a shared SR and vice Versa.

I don't think that XM and SXM can be used together from the XenCenter. AFAIK XenCenter only does XenMotion, and SXM in the Pool Shell. But it's easy, eg "xe vdi-pool-migrate uuid=<vdi-uuid> sr-uuid=<target-sr-uuid>". The performance is really impressive from what I have experienced...

so long,
-Bastian