Re: [Xen-API] Serial ports on Xen Cloud Platform

On 28/03/2013 17:35, Denis Cardon wrote:
> Hi Daren,
>
>> I've recently been testing XCP with FreeBSD as the guest OS's running
>> the XENHVM kernel.  So far I've not had any problems with anything I've
>> tried to do on them.
>>
>> One of our systems we were hoping to transfer to a DomU runs Hylafax
>> with an old fashioned SupraExpress modem attached to the serial port.
>> The BSD guest shows the device node it would normally attach to, but I
>> get no response from it when running the Hylafax command to add a modem.
>>
>> I was wondering if serial ports were actually supported on guests, and
>> what is needed to get them running?
>
> another way to achieve the goal is to use serial over IP adapters. I
> have setup a few moxa (http://www.moxa.com/product/NPort_5100A.htm) to
> access good old pots modem from virtual machines. They are not used for
> fax but for point to point communication over telephone lines, and they
> have been working fine for two years.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Denis

Thanks Denis,

This might have to be a way to go if I can find out about getting
Hylafax to work with them - I haven't read up that much about serial
over IP.  I'll probably have a look at vmware's free hypervisor to see
if that does serial ports as well.

Regards
Daren