[Xen-API] XCP 1.6 Yum Update

  • To: xen-api@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: Britton Dodd <brittman914@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 21 Apr 2013 23:27:55 -0400
  • Delivery-date: Mon, 22 Apr 2013 03:28:20 +0000

Good evening,

I just wanted to let everybody know that I have successfully upgraded (via yum)
XCP 1.6. Here's how I accomplished it:

#rpm -qa --queryformat "%{NAME}\t%{VENDOR}\n" | grep -v CentOS

(pardon my laziness here I could have used vim but got lazy :o(    )

I copied/pasted that output into a text editor, search/replaced each of the
vendor names and newlines, creating a space delimited list of packages that
don't come from CentOS and therefore should be excluded.

Once this was done, I added this list to the 'exclude=' directive in
/etc/yum.repos.d/CentOS-Base.repo, enabling the base and update repos. I saved
this, and tried a yum update. This actually failed due to a conflict in conf
files between some iscsi packages. I went back to CentOS-Base.repo and added
*iscsi* to the exclude list.

I ran yum update xen-hypervisor first (due to yum complaining about signing
errors, and I didn't want the whole transaction to have GPG checking disabled),
then did a yum update. After this completed, I rebooted.

Once it came back up, I was able to connect via xenserver, add a VM and disk,
and I'm installing a CentOS guest.

I believe security updates to XCP are important, therefore I wanted to share
this in hopes that I can somehow help solve some of the problems we currently
face with XCP.

Please let me know if this is interesting to someone. I'm willing to help out
with this project in *ANY* way I can.

Thanks,

Britton Dodd
Java Developer/DEV-OPS