Re: [Xen-API] PCI passthrough - XCP vs XenServer

  • To: Phill Edwards <philledwards@xxxxxxxxx>
  • From: Dave Scott <Dave.Scott@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 30 Jun 2013 10:21:17 +0000
  • Accept-language: en-GB, en-US
  • Cc: "xen-api@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xen-api@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Delivery-date: Sun, 30 Jun 2013 10:21:29 +0000

Hi Phil,

There's a difference between what /should/ work in the code, versus what a
particular commercial support organization is prepared to help you with. The
code for XCP and XenServer is the same. Generally in the XenServer/XCP code PCI
pass through should work, although so far it's only commercially supported in
special cases.

I expect PCI pass through to become more and more common in future. It's
especially important for "Windsor": our planned disaggregated architecture for
XenServer. Therefore I expect the code will become more and more polished and
reliable over time-- this is where your feedback could be really useful!

My advice is to give it a go, and report back to the list on what works (and
what doesn't). To request a device passthrough, you'll need to add an
"other-config" "pci" key via the CLI, naming the bus, device and function you
want to passthrough. Try something like:

xe vm-param-set uuid=... other-config:pci=0/0000:bus:dev.fun,1/0000:bus:dev.fun2

Be careful to always pass through all functions of multi-function devices (some
hardware doesn't like it when the functions are separated) and beware the code
paths are different for HVM and PV. I would recommend installing a modern Linux
distro as HVM (easiest done in XenServer by using the "other install media"
template), and use that. For reference, I often use Ubuntu 12.04 but anything
modern should be ok.

Use the most recent version of the XenServer code that you can. Conveniently an
update was released last week -- I recommend grabbing 6.2 from xenserver.org.

What kind of DVB-T tuners have you got? I was considering something similar
myself with one of mine.

Cheers,
--
Dave Scott