Re: [Xen-API] Xenserver 6.2 yum repository error

Hi Aymon,

(Please keep the discussion on the list for the benefit of others.)

> I understand that fort the updates but what if I want to install something. I wanted to install mailx just to send me some alerts . I may also need to install other stuff.

XenServer isn’t intended to be a general purpose Linux platform so installing miscellaneous packages isn’t supported by Citrix (you can of course do it if you want but you’re on your own).

> If citrix do not want that  we use yum  they should either remove it or remove the repositories.Putting unreacheable repositories is a poor solution

We find that it’s useful to leave yum there so that devs and power users can enable it if required. The 404 repo isn’t ideal but as it’s not causing any problems to normal users it’s not on anyone’s radar to address.

>BTW my 2 cents question : why Citrix do not use yum for updates ??

XenServer was originally developed for the “Windows IT Pro” market – these guys typically don’t use yum.  Obviously with the widen usage of XenServer in cloud/Linux shops this is something that is us for re-evaluation.

Regards,

James

I understand that fort the updates but what if I want to install something. I wanted to install mailx just to send me some alerts . I may also need to install other stuff.

If citrix do not want that  we use yum  they should either remove it or remove the repositories.Putting unreacheable repositories is a poor solution

thx

BTW my 2 cents question : why Citrix do not use yum for updates ??

cheers