Re: [Xen-API] [Xen-devel] [Seeking input] Format of Xen Project Developer Summit in October

> Wouldn't that raise fairness issues regarding which talks are scheduled
> to happen in parallel with the BoF sessions, as compared to the ones
> that are not?
I am not convinced it would. If there was one BoF discussion going on in parallel to the track in the afternoon, I wouldn't expect that more than a dozen or so people would come to a specific discussion. It'll create a degree of competition with the main program, but that would exist also if we had two tracks. We had around 100-150 people attend the summit in the past. Am not convinced this will be a big issue. The alternative is to just set up the second room as hacker space and as a space for "in-corridor" meetings and have no tool to schedule.

> Also, won't the "let's have everyone in one room" be covered by the
> Devs/Committers/Maintainers Meeting, of course, if we have one
Yes, but I expect that 1/2 wont be enough and that there are bound to be follow-up discussions, which need maybe a few core devs.

Lars

On Fri, Aug 9, 2013 at 11:49 AM, Dario Faggioli <dario.faggioli@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On gio, 2013-08-08 at 15:20 -0400, Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk wrote:
> > > Option 2) We could use the second room for in-depth discussions (using
> > > an unconference scheduling mechanism as we have done at the Hackathon:
> > > if you want to know how this works do read
> > > http://blog.xen.org/index.php/2013/05/28/event-report-xen-hackathon-2013/ -
> > > we would use a simplified version of the mechanism described). These
> > > would run in parallel to the main program, for example in the afternoon.
> > > In other words, we would have "BoF type meetings decided on the day" or
> > > "hacking sessions" or "get started with X" or "how do we solve problem
> > > Z" etc. that would happen in the second room in parallel to talks.
> >
> +1
>
> I concur with Jan. There is already so much going on that week with LKS
> and LinuxCon, XenSummit, and meeting other people in the halls - that
> having everybody in one room would make it much easier to have discussions.
>
> Instead of trying to find some "time" to talk to them and potentially not
> having enough people in the discussion.

I tend to agree, especially since I liked the hackathon format and
outcome. However, one concern I have with 2) is, who's been listening to
the talks from the main program in RoomA, if everyone is in RoomB having
"fun" discussions?

Wouldn't that raise fairness issues regarding which talks are scheduled
to happen in parallel with the BoF sessions, as compared to the ones
that are not?

As I said, I liked it for the hackathon but that was, well, the
hackathon... In this case I fear it could be a bit both rude and
pointless to ask people to submit talks for the summit and then have
noone listening to the presentations, because everyone is in the room
next door! :-O

Or did I misunderstand something and there is no risk of that?

Also, won't the "let's have everyone in one room" be covered by the
Devs/Committers/Maintainers Meeting, of course, if we have one?

Thanks and Regards,
Dario