Re: [Xen-API] Building dom0 kernel modules

I once build custom kernel 2.6.32 driver inside xenserver using steps described in this page:

http://wiki.xen.org/wiki/Compiling_Kernel_2.6.32

--
Sayid Munawar
Sent with Sparrow

On Friday, 20 September 2013 at 4:45 AM, Arjen wrote:

Hi,

I can PCI pass-through my Intel HDA audio controller to a Linux HVM domU
as part of virtualizing my desktop. Unfortunately, the audio is
stuttering and noisy (ALSA underruns) and I haven't been able to find
the right snd_hda_intel module settings to resolve this.

The work-around that I found for Xen 4.2 (Gentoo) and KVM (Proxmox) was
to let the dom0 initialize the device once by loading the snd_hda_intel
kernel module, before releasing the device to pciback/pcistub and
starting the the domU with PCI pass-through.

However, I cannot use the same trick on XenServer 6.2 because the dom0
does not provide the snd_hda_intel kernel model (and it dependencies).
I appreciate that sound modules are not usually part of XenServer, but I
don't know how else to solve my problem. (Pointers to the right list or
forum to ask about this are also very welcome as I can find little
information about audio pass-through or snd_hda_intel in a domU.)

I found information on building XenServer dom0 kernel modules using the
DDK but I'm not sure where to find the source for the latest dom0 kernel
sound modules. I looks to me that they are also not included in the
XenServer 6.2.0(+XS62E004) dom0 kernel sources RPM, but I might be mistaken?

Can someone point me in the right direction for the relevant sources and
how to compile them? If you have already compiled (other) "standard but
not distributed" kernel modules for XenServer, can you please share your
experience?

kind regards, Arjen