Re: [Xen-API] Is XenServer 6.2 as Broken as it Seems?

I can confirm the licensing issue when installed in xcp mode. I believe I read somewhere that it was a bug.

On Mon, Sep 23, 2013 at 11:48 AM, Alex Brett <Alex.Brett@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I installed the servers in XCP mode.
>
> 1) After the base install, which went perfectly, I created a pool and found
> that I could not add the second server to the pool ans saw this error:
>
> There was a problem with the license daemon (v6d). Is it running?

Can you clarify what you mean by 'in XCP mode' - XenServer 6.2 is fully open source, and is by default in a state equivalent to XCP, so doesn't require any additional steps.

In particular, if you did alter anything to do with the licensing side of things, that could cause the error you got with v6d.

> 2)  I couldn't install any updates (which sounded important).  In the latest (6.2
> Hotfix 3) XenCenter showed the two servers grayed-out.  So I installed the
> Hotfixes 1, 2 and 4 via the command line as I have done on previous versions
> of XenServer and rebooted...and lost contact with the servers.  They
> wouldn't boot up again...stuck on the graphical progress screen with no way
> to ESCape out.

In the default XenServer 6.2 state, installing updates through XenCenter is the only feature that requires purchase of support from Citrix, so this is why it was greyed out in XenCenter.  From the CLI however it should 'just work' - can you confirm how you installed them (i.e. what CLI commands you used etc), and also just to verify this wasn't a delayed boot, i.e. you did wait a reasonable period of time before deciding it was stuck when booting?

Alex