Re: [Xen-API] xen-api build and test environment

On Wed, 16 Apr 2014, Dave Scott wrote:

Hi Edwin,

On 16 Apr 2014, at 11:36, Zhai, Edwin <edwin.zhai@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

All,
We are trying to add some new feature in xen-api and test in openstack
environment. But build xen-api accroding to README.markdown at
https://github.com/xapi-project/xen-api.git on ubuntu 12.04 always failed.
There are dependences not in documents, like blktap-dev, and also some basic
build failure, like obuild.

Just curious how xen-api developer do the build? Build it stand-alone, or with
xenserver? Do you have frequent fresh build test?

For components like ‘xenopsd’, ‘xcp-networkd’ etc I prefer to install all the
dependencies in CentOS (or Debian) via xenserver-core[1]. I can then clone the repo and build the binaries.

For ‘xapi’ itself the xenserver-core .spec file references a branch with a couple of
build fixes in it. These need to be tidied up and merged to master— Bob Ball (cc:d) and I are
trying to sort this out.

Qiaowei is trying this according to Bob's instruction. Pls. let us know if you guys have fix.

I think we should try to create a ‘vagrant box’ configuration to help people set this
up — what do you think?

It is a good idea, and can help new developer to setup environment via fresh build. Otherwise, we need answer questions for many times.

Another question is how you do the test? Do you have some simple unit test
tools to verify API function, or you test it in XCP environment?

For ‘xapi’, there are a few unit tests which run as part of the build. There’s also a program
called ‘quicktest’ (in the xen-api repo) which can install VMs, suspend/resume, migrate etc. After
that we normally run system tests via xenrt[2]

It's helpful info. Thanks.

Do you have plan do do some test in openstack environment? You know, libvirt in
openstack doesn't support xen well.

I think xapi is tested as part of the XenServer openstack CI[3]

Yes. But I believe XenServer openstack use release version instead of latest git code. Is it possible to run some test for it, and fix bugs. Or it should be responsibility of openstack?

HTH,
Dave
[1] https://github.com/xenserver/xenserver-core
[2]