Re: [Xen-API] Xapi Project 2.0 release

On 2 Jun 2014, at 14:13, George Shuklin <george.shuklin@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I don't want to sound to skeptical, but after about 5 year of deep work with
> xapi, I was really disappointed by Citrix VS opensource relationship.
> XenServer was and is not libre. There is source code but there is no way to
> rebuild original ISO from those sources. Decisions were made purely in-house
> sole by Citrix, and published opensource version (xapi packages) were broken
> beyond repair (and were removed from repository).

As another former contributor but now external to Citrix for a long time, I was
very encouraged by the discussions at the Xen hackathon last week.  There's
been a lot of behind-the-scenes cleanup to move Xapi towards working on an
unmodified set of RPMs/Debs that indicate that this upstreaming effort will be
much more sustainable than previous iterations.

One key thing for me would be an OPAM submission of Xapi such that it could all
be rebuilt easily from the public repo. Once that's done, I believe that many
of the other issues (local patches for LVM and so on) are addressed by having
storage plugins that are designed to work with open-source distros (such as the
local-directory ffs plugin instead of the NFS SR).

best,
Anil