Re: [Xen-API] Intel CQM feature enabling in XenAPI

  • To: Bob Ball <bob.ball@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: "Ren, Qiaowei" <qiaowei.ren@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2014 00:05:13 +0000
  • Accept-language: zh-CN, en-US
  • Cc: "xen-api@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xen-api@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Delivery-date: Fri, 13 Jun 2014 00:05:32 +0000

On 2014-06-12, Bob Ball wrote:
>> 1) how can we add patches into XenAPI upstream and test them?
>> I noticed that buildroot project will download latest XenAPI tag
>> from github to build and package. But If I git clone latest XenAPI
>> code and change it, I don't know how to have buildroot use our updated
>> XenAPI code.
>
> You can build a set of RPMs with local directories - I don't remember
> how to do this, but hopefully those on xs-devel will know. My
> development typically involves committing to my github repository and
> using an MD5 to reference the change in the spec files.  As an example,
> I typically make changes similar to
> https://github.com/BobBall/xenserver-core/commit/ac504af29ba9deb40da6b 5
> b4a98efbb0134e9f44
>
>> We should specifically build modified XenAPI and install it to
>> replace current XenAPI on system with it? Or there are some other
>> methods to do so?
>
> That's right - build the XAPI RPM and install it on the system.

It looks be quite difficult to build XAPI independently. I guess you mean that
we should firstly create one XAPI repo, and then modify xapi.spec in buildroot
to get XAPI code from that repo created just now, so changed XAPI code can be
built with buildroot, right?

>> 2) how can we replace Xen 4.2 hypervisor package with latest patched Xen?
>
> The buildroot scripts depend on a version of Xen
> (https://github.com/xenserver/buildroot/blob/master/SPECS/xenopsd.spec
> #L5 6 but see also
> https://github.com/xenserver/buildroot/blob/master/scripts/lib/mappkgname
> . py#L13 - if you need to change RPM dependencies to different versions,
> you may need to change things here).  The other place I know we change a
> few things relating to Xen are
> https://github.com/xenserver/buildroot/blob/master/SOURCES/xenopsd-xc-
> init #L39.
>
> Clearly buildroot compiles against Xen headers, and it depends on
> RPM/DPKG to tell us where those are.

According to these link, buildroot depends on that Xen hypervisor package in
current distro, and if we use latest version we need to have buildroot know
where its headers are.

I tried to clone/build/install Xen master just now, after installation of
buildroot. And I noticed that some 'xe' commands, like 'xe host-list' and 'xe
vm-list', can work also based on latest Xen 4.5. But 'xe vm-install' sholw "no
available host ...." Could you tell me how you usually verify whether XAPI work?

Thanks,
Qiaowei