Re: [Xen-API] Snapshot causes disk errors and VM crashes

  • To: 'Mark Benson' <md.benson@xxxxxxxxx>
  • From: Thanos Makatos <thanos.makatos@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2014 10:21:43 +0000
  • Accept-language: en-GB, en-US
  • Cc: "xen-api@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xen-api@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Delivery-date: Fri, 21 Nov 2014 10:21:58 +0000

> I couldn't find any tap-segfault messages for the time of the incident, I

Just to clarify, it's either "tap-err" or "segfault", but not "tap-segfault".
Also, check /var/log/user.log.

> pastebin'd the SMlog covering that time slot whgen the snapshot was taken
> (it can be seen in the log) but I couldn't find much in the way of exceptions.
>
> http://pastebin.com/fgcZ0T2W

I can't find anything wrong in this log excerpt. Can you post the other logs in
/var/log (kern.log, daemon.log, messages, user.log, syslog)?

> If it makes any difference, the SR is mounted via NFS from the local machine.
> Am I doing the wrong thing? I made it NFS accessible to make it available in
> the event of pooling servers, then I can simply attach to the other server as
> well. Should I be mounting local storage locally? Does it make a difference?

That's a bit non-standard but I don't see anything wrong with it.