Re: [Xen-API] xapi-client

> On 9 Jan 2015, at 15:51, buzz heavyyear <buzzheavyyear@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> Ah, so you  haven't installed xapi/xenserver on cubieboard yet? ;)

/me suddenly realises his cubieboard is unplugged and swiftly turns it back on
again ;)

I’d like to improve the OCaml bindings so I’m interested in any experiences you
have (positive or negative). My top 2 usability annoyances are:

1. we use labelled arguments but not optional arguments, even when there is a
defined default value.
2. we should allow the client to register some kind of nice transient
connection failure handler/policy: at the moment every RPC invocation can fail
and it can be annoying to handle. Sometimes you just wish to say: keep retrying
and bail out after n seconds.

> -n
>
> Subject: Re: [Xen-API] xapi-client
> From: anil@xxxxxxxxxx
> Date: Fri, 9 Jan 2015 15:35:12 +0000
> CC: xen-api@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
> To: buzzheavyyear@xxxxxxxxxxx
>
> It so happens that I just (yesterday) also installed XenServer on x86 and
> would like to get the XenAPI client bindings from OCaml, and so am most
> interested in this!
>
> -a
>
> On 9 Jan 2015, at 09:56, buzz heavyyear <buzzheavyyear@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> Hello everyone,
>
> Just to introduce myself as someone starting out with xapi on arm. Apologies
> in advance for any future trivial questions to the list!
>
> I've been trying to compile the lwt_test/list_vms.ml with the following
> _oasis file:
>
> OASISFormat: 0.4
> Name:        list_vms_lwt
> Version:     0.1
> Synopsis:    Xapi Client Example
> Authors:     njb
> License:     PROP
> BuildTools: ocamlbuild
> Plugins: META (0.4), DevFiles (0.4)
>
> Executable "list_vms_lwt"
>   MainIs: list_vms.ml
>   BuildDepends: xen-api-client, xen-api-client.lwt, lwt, lwt.ssl, lwt.unix
>   CompiledObject: best
>

> With opam up to date with lwt etc., I get:
>
> File "list_vms.ml", line 32, characters 76-78:
> Error: Syntax error
> Command exited with code 2.
> E: Failure("Command ''/usr/bin/ocamlbuild' list_vms.native -tag debug'
> terminated with error code 10”)

This almost certainly means it needs the lwt.syntax and didn’t have it. Try
adding “, lwt.syntax” to the BuildDepends and “oasis setup” “make”.

> When I modify _oasis to include the lwt Build flag:
>
> OASISFormat: 0.4
> Name:        list_vms_lwt
> Version:     0.1
> Synopsis:    Xapi Client Example
> Authors:     njb
> License:     PROP
> BuildTools: ocamlbuild
> Plugins: META (0.4), DevFiles (0.4)
>
> Flag lwt
>   Default: false
>
> Executable "list_vms_lwt"
>   MainIs: list_vms.ml
>   Install$: flag(lwt)
>   Build$: flag(lwt)
>   BuildDepends: xen-api-client, xen-api-client.lwt, lwt, lwt.ssl, lwt.unix
>   CompiledObject: best
>

> when running make I get :
>
> ocaml setup.ml -build
> /usr/bin/ocamlopt.opt unix.cmxa -I /usr/lib/ocaml/ocamlbuild
> /usr/lib/ocaml/ocamlbuild/ocamlbuildlib.cmxa myocamlbuild.ml
> /usr/lib/ocaml/ocamlbuild/ocamlbuild.cmx -o myocamlbuild
> MAKE SUCCESSFUL (total time: 1s)
>

> .... but no executable.

Hmm, the lwt flag defaults to false and is set to true by the Makefile:

LWT ?= $(shell if ocamlfind query lwt.ssl >/dev/null 2>&1; then echo
--enable-lwt; fi)

So it looks like you need to “opam install ssl”

Cheers,
Dave