[Xen-API] improving the XenAPI docs

Hi,

Iâve been thinking about how to improve the XenAPI reference[1]. The things I
like about the reference are:

- itâs generated from the IDL, so itâs always up to date
- itâs got everything in it

The things I donât like about the reference are:

- itâs got everything in itâ in alphabetical order, rather than in any kind of
usefulness order
- the descriptions of fields/ functions areâ terse (and often tautologous)
- there are no in-line examples

Iâd like to improve the reference by making 2 extensions:

1. Iâd like to add tags to each field and function, and allow the docs to be
searched by tag (e.g. find all the fields and functions related to âsnapshotsâ)
A well-known tag name would be âcoreâ meaning âstuff you need to knowâ and I
propose we either filter for that by default, or at least re-order the elements
so we have core first.

2. Iâd like to create a sparse file overlay per-API in the xen-api repo. An
overlay file â if it exists â would override whatever terse description exists
in the raw IDL. The overlay would be written in markdown and would contain
paragraphs of description, links and example usages. It would be easy to add an
overlay to the repo without breaking the build (i.e. thereâs no need to keep
all the docs inside the code as well-quoted strings where you have to satisfy
the compiler).

Thoughts/ suggestions/ improvements welcome!

Cheers,
Dave

[1] Thereâs more than one copy on the web, but hereâs the one I was looking at:
http://xapi-project.github.io/xen-api/index.html