Re: [Xen-research] Re: bringing multiple VMs at the same time on a multicore system

  • To: xen-research@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: Mehdi Sheikhalishahi <mehdi.alishahi@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 19 Feb 2010 12:49:23 +0100
  • Delivery-date: Fri, 19 Feb 2010 03:49:20 -0800

What about this use-case?

We have a supercomputer with 200,000 cores. And it is devoted to
Infrastructure-as-a-Service cloud computing model. So this means it
must be able to bring up different Virtual Machines lets say 100
different Virtual Machine (depends on the workload) at the same time.
We assume that supercomputer has Parallel File System to read Virtual
Machine files concurrently by high speed.
What sort of developments need to be done in Xen to manage this situation?

Regards,
Mehdi

On Thu, Feb 18, 2010 at 6:39 PM, Wesley Emeneker
<wesley.emeneker@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I've been researching (and measuring) this on x86_64 for about a year now.
> I've been focusing on how cache structures affect the performance of a
> range of scientific applications with various levels of VCPU-pinning.
>
> Some of the questions are:
> 1. How much do the applications like/hate sharing a last level cache
> (usually L2 or L3 depending on what the micro-architecture is)?
> 2. Do TLBs have much of an effect?
> 3. Depending on the answer to question 1, how well can applications
> share a cache? i.e. if we have a CPU-intensive, small-memory application
> how well does it share with a memory-hungry app?
>

> What I've found is that a good many scientific applications actually
> like sharing a cache.
> If they don't share one, performance often suffers.
>

> Wesley Emeneker
>

>> If we consider the future of computer systems with many cores, the
>> problem of bringing multiple VMs at the same time on a multicore
>> system becomes critical from the performance and speed point of view.
>> I'd like to know whether is there any research on this topic?
>>
>> Regards,
>> Mehdi
>
> ***
> This email has been stamped using Penny Post. Stamping email helps
> combat spam.
> Find out more about stamping your email at: http://pennypost.sourceforge.net

Regards,
Mehdi