Re: [Xen-users] domU distributions, images and tarballs

Am Montag, den 04.04.2005, 03:43 +0000 schrieb Kristinn Soffanias
Runarsson:
> Hi.. I've updated some of the images (more or less made them actually work)
>
> And I now have tarballs so you can blow them up onto any media.. LVM,
> iscsi, NFS etc..
>
> The glory is at:
>
> http://www.kvadratrot.net/~xen
>
> and a mirror (dunno how often it updates) at:
> http://ooo.sivit.fr/~anivard/www.kvadratrot.net/
> All feedback is appreciated!

Hi Kristinn,

great work, thanx a lot! Due to the fact that the list changed its
address without any warning while i was on holydays, i have missed some
mails, so some of my comments may be dupe :-( I only checked your
centos4 image, so i do not know if an issue hit's the centos4 image
only, or FC3/RH9 too, or all.

If there's some need, i would volunteer to maintain a minimal FC3 image.
Here's my feedback:

Centos4 (FC3/RH9?) image: what about ...

  * a _minimal_ image, that means only bootup, login & yum must work.
    Everything else can be installed via yum. So the only packages which
    are really necessary are vim-{enhanced|minimal}, rootfiles, gnupg,
    openssh-server, passwd, shadow-utils, yum and their dependencies.

  * rpm --import http://mirror.centos.org/centos-4/4/os/i386/RPM-GPG-KEY
    to make yum work?

  * adding "shadow" to the line "password sufficient .. pam_unix.so .."
    in /etc/pam.d/system-auth and calling "pwconv; grpconv" to enable
    shadow passwords?

  * > /etc/resolv.conf

  * echo "localhost 127.0.0.1" > /etc/hosts

All images: what about ...

  * creating sparse images and compressing them via "tar cjSf ..."
    ending up in smaller .tar.bz2 instead of .bz2?

  * naming the uncompressed images .ext3 instead of .img?

Regards, /nils.