Re: [Xen-users] [Fwd: Re: [Xen-devel] Run X in other domains?]

On Tue, Apr 19, 2005 at 07:34:54AM -0400, Eric S. Johansson wrote:
> Gerd Knorr wrote:
> >I tried the same some time ago in user mode linux (tried to make X11
> >run on top of a virtual framebuffer device) and ran into simliar
> >issues.  It simply didn't work without hacking the X-Server.  X11 was
> >very unhappy about not being able to access hardware directly, even
> >though there was absolutely no need to do that.  I wanted it simply
> >open and use the /dev/fb0 device ...
>
> if I'm understanding correctly, this sounds very similar to what the
> colinux folks are trying to do with making and X11 run out of their
> virtual machine on Windows.

Probably, that's the most obvious way of doing this in a virtualized
environment.  It's also a sensible approach for X11 support in xen
domU's, once we have a paravirtualized linux framebuffer driver ;)

I hope with the next X.org release it "just works".

  Gerd

--
#define printk(args...) fprintf(stderr, ## args)