Re: [Xen-users] How to detect a domain shutdown with as less overheadas possible?

  • From: Kip Macy <kip.macy@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 30 Apr 2005 08:37:42 -0700
  • Cc: ian.pratt@xxxxxxxxxxxx, xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Delivery-date: Sat, 30 Apr 2005 15:37:23 +0000

In tools/python/xen/xend/XendDomain.py you'll see that reap is called
by onVirq which in turn is a handler registered for xend.virq.
xend.virq is an event-channel used by xend for notifications. It is
set up in tools/python/xen/xend/server/channel.py. In -testing reap
appears to be called as soon as a domain crashes, meaning that
everything is working as it should. In -unstable a guest doesn't get
reaped until 'xm list' gets called awakening xend to the fact that it
has work to do.

What you might try to do is create a perl binding for the bits of the
xc library that you need or, if SWIG cooperates, the entire thing.
>From there it appears you can set up an event channel notification for
"VIRQ_DOM_EXC    = 4  # (DOM0) Exceptional event for some domain."

Oh and I'm not the expert, Mike Wray is. I just gleaned this from
glancing at the code just now. All I did for coredump was add a call
to reap in the crashed path. I guess if you're *really* lazy, you can
have xend send /var/tmp/myscript.pid a signal whenever it reaps a
domain. Although I doubt a patch for this would be accepted :-)

                                             -Kip