Re: [Xen-users] Guest OS woun't boot

On Wed, 2005-05-18 at 08:43, Dominik Heßmann wrote:
> Hello everybody,
>
> i am a newbie in using Xen.
> The first three tries to install Xen on my Gentoo box
> aren't very successfull. But now i know how to get the
> dom0 Domain running.
> So my Xentoo (Xen + Gentoo = Xentoo) ist coming up.
>
> My system is configures like this:
>
> /dev/hda1 = /boot
> /dev/hda2 = /
> /dev/hda3 = LVM-Partition
> /dev/hda4 = SWAP
>
> /dev/vg01/SYSP = Gentoo System for dom1
>
> i've createt a lpar /dev/vg01/SYSP where i've copied
> the new Gentoo in.
> Now when i try to start the new Domain i get:
>

> VFS: Cannot open root device "sda1" or unknown-block(0,0)
> Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(0,0)

I forget the exact MO for devfs but it's probably the case that devfs
isn't mounted (no initrd to do it here) so /dev/sda1 isn't finding
anything. Try manually mknod'ing /dev/sda1 within the domain disk image.
When devfs does get mounted it will mount over the top of this which
won't cause a problem.

Mark W - I seem to recall you had some comments on the /dev/ issues a
while back?