[Xen-users] Re: oom-killer keeps killing big un-tars

On Wed, May 18, 2005 at 04:18:00PM -0400, Andrew Thompson wrote:
When you say "unsafest", that's only for the partition that's being mounted in that fashion, correct?

Yes. As a mount option it only affects the partition that uses it.
And unsafe is not so bad, too. data=writeback only garanties correct
metadata, not correct data. This is the normal option in 2.4 for
reiserfs I believe without external pachtes. I don't in which 2.6er
kernel data=ordered and data=journal were introduced and in which
kernel data=ordered became the default.

So, if I only mount this drive I'm trying to untar this file on with data=writeback, I won't be unwittingly putting my other partitions at risk will I? (I'm hoping that this option can be set for a specific

Yes, you can put it in fstab in the option section (data=writeback) or
at the command line mount device mountpoint -o data=writeback.

Shade and sweet water!

        Stephan

--
| Stephan Seitz                    E-Mail: Nur-Ab-Sal@xxxxxx |