Re: [Xen-users] UnionFS + Xen

> Anyway, this may not really be a xen issue, but I thought I'd ask. I
> was trying to get several domU's to share a base LVM-backed
> filesystem, but when I fire up a second domain using the same fs, it
> says that the vbd is already in use. I take it isn't possible to have
> multiple mounts of an LVM-backed volume? That's one reason why I had
> to use a file-backed root fs above.

The Xen tools won't let you have multiple mounts to a filesystem unless
they're all read only.  This is just a "safety catch" to avoid people
shooting themselves in the foot.  If you're Really Sure you want writeable
sharing, stick "w!" as the permission in the config file.

> Also... As I'm not too sure about this, is it *safe* for a file-backed
> root fs to be shared across multiple domUs?

Not if they're mounting it writeable...

> I have the initrd mount it
> as read-only BUT the xen config has to make it writable. Making it
> read only in the config causes the mount process to spit an error
> (EXT3 INFO requires write access ...).

If you mount it read only in the guest, it's probably OK.  It's a bit odd that
exporting it read only doesn't work though - we export /usr read only and
then mount it read only in the guest, which seems to work fine.

HTH,
Mark