From: Ian Pratt [mailto:m+Ian.Pratt@xxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Tuesday, June 07, 2005 4:04 PM
To: Wolinsky, David; xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: ian.pratt@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: [Xen-users] Current time

> I'm trying to run kernel compilations on a VM and my times are better
> than on the host machine.  I'm using the time command, so I'm assuming

> its bugged.  I try to use hwclock, and it spits out nothing.  Is there

> an easy way to determine REAL time in a virtual machine?

The elapsed time reported by 'time' should be accurate. system and user
time may not be entirely correct, as the kernel doesn't really
understand that its not running the whole time.

hwclock won't work as the unprivileged guest isn't authorized to read
directly from the hardware clock. 'date' should work fine.

Ian