Re: [Xen-users] UnionFS + Xen

  • To: mukesh agrawal <lists.xensource.com@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: "Gino LV. Ledesma" <gledesma@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 9 Jun 2005 14:31:30 -0700
  • Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Delivery-date: Thu, 09 Jun 2005 21:30:41 +0000

On 6/9/05, mukesh agrawal <lists.xensource.com@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Google turns up a couple projects using that name. Are you using the one
> from Stony Brook (http://www.fsl.cs.sunysb.edu/project-unionfs.html), or a
> different one?

Yes, that's the one.

> > I customized the initrd process to union mount the baseroot filesystem
> > with the "delta" filesystem and overlay that as root.
>
> Are there any pitfalls to watch out for in creating this initrd, or is it
> pretty straightforward?

The initrd itself is pretty straightforward, especially if you're
using a file-/physical-/LVM-backed block device. Using NFS gets a
little bit tricky because of the mount procedure, but nothing too
difficult to overcome.

The only issues I'm running into are kernel stack traces during
certain I/O-heavy operations. This has more to do with unionfs I
suppose, rather than the xen kernel itself.

Another one I've looked at recently is mini_fo
<http://www.denx.de/twiki/bin/view/Know/MiniFOHome>, though this
doesn't support overlaying an NFS exported volume yet, and it has some
caching issues I'm looking into.

- gino