Re: [Xen-users] Xen-unstable unable to see (any) network card

  • To: James Blackwell <jblack@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: Yvette Chanco <yentlsoup@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 10 Jun 2005 12:00:03 -0500
  • Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Delivery-date: Fri, 10 Jun 2005 16:59:14 +0000

Unfortunately I don't have the immediate answer to your problem, but I
can say that
the age of hardware should not be an issue in and of itself (although
there can always be issues with specific hardware, and I imagine that
somebody else would probably ask you the details of your network
cards, hardware, dmesg, etc., so you might want to post them). We have
Xen (with debian testing/sarge 3.1r0 as a base) running on older
machines (two PIIs, one  350 mgz with 192 mb of ram). My primary
"test" machine has 384 mb of ram and a 900 mhz processor.

Have you tried the Xen demo live cd on the box in question? I haven't
tested 2.0.6 fully, but the 2.0.5 demo was very useful for
troubleshooting, since it supports a lot more hardware than the plain
vanilla installs (and will work on a machine with 256 mb of ram in
text-only mode).

I've also tried most of the installs that you have (except the Debian
unstable version, isn't that Xen 1.2?) with success after some
tweaking - I could give details, but this post is already rather long,
since I'm not actually solving your problem, just commenting on it.

On 6/8/05, James Blackwell <jblack@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hello!
>
> Xen seems like a neat idea -- such a neat idea that I rushed downstairs,
> wiped clean one of my computers with a fresh Debian 3.0 install, and tried
> installing various xen-.*-install.tgzs on the machine. Sure, the machine
> only has 256 megs of ram and a 900mhz processor, but it'll be a
> _mainframe_
>
> I failed miserably. I tried xenophilia (failed), the xen in Debian
> unstable (failed) xen-2.0.[46]-install.tgz and xen-unstable (7 June and 5
> June).
>
> In each case it was an interrupt problem; for one of them, hda had irq
> timeouts.  For another (I think this was laura/xen 2), none of the three
> network cards I tried showed up at all (including in lspci).
>
> In the case of xen-unstable-install everything seemed to work -- the irq
> for hda was found, the various nics were found. However, the nics didn't
> work because of send timeouts; I would paraphrase the error as:
> 'NETDEV WATCHDOG: eth0 timeout on transmit'
>
> I tried adding various kernel options to the pertinant stanza in grub's
> menu.lst, at one time trying to add options to the kernel line, other
> times trying the module line. The options I tried were the following:
> noapic, acpi=off, pciirq=bios, and a couple others.
>
> I figure the main problem is that the computer I tried xen on is pretty
> old -- probably around 5 years.  Would that be a factor?

-Yvette Chanco
www.option-c.com