Re: [Xen-users] help with "error extent to vbd failed: ... error 8"

On Sun, Jun 12, 2005 at 09:27:48AM +0100, Ian Pratt wrote:
>  > I get a:
> > Error: Adding extent to vbd failed: device (vbd (uname
> > file:/xen/slackware-linux-10/linu.img) (dev hda1) (mode w)), error 8
>
> > My dom0-OS is NetBSD 3.0_BETA, btw. This may explain a lot,
> > still I'd like to have as much detailed information as possible ;)
>
> I'll bet you'll need to hack the /etc/xen/scripts/block-file script to
> work on NetBSD unless the syntax for losetup is identical.

Ah, so those files are loopmounted, like in mount -o loop ...?
(Net,Open, Maybe DragonFly)BSD use a different system, with slightly
other syntaxes. Here is the diff I hacked quickly (just taking NetBSD
into account):

[diff]
6c6
< # loop device.  We print the path to the loop device node to stdout.
---
> # loop/vnd device.  We print the path to the loop/vnd device node to stdout.
10a11,21
> if test `uname -s` = "Linux"; then
>       SETUPCMD="losetup"
>       UNBINDSWITCH="-d"
>       DEVICEFILES="/dev/loop*"
> fi
> if test `uname -s` = "NetBSD"; then
>       SETUPCMD="vnconfig"
>       UNBINDSWITCH="-u"
>       DEVICEFILES="`ls /dev/vnd* | sed 's/\/dev\///' | awk '{ print substr($0,
0,4)}'| sort -u`"
> fi

13,14c24,25
<               for dev in /dev/loop*; do
<                       if losetup $dev $2; then
---
>               for dev in $DEVICEFILES; do
>                       if $SETUPCMD $dev $2; then
23c34
<               losetup -d $2
---
>               $SETUPCMD $UNBINDSWITCH $2
[/diff]

If you prefer a different diff(1) method, tell me :)

However, that gives me:
Error: Error creating domain: vbd: Segment not found:
uname=file:/xen/slackware-linux-10/linux.img

I don't know how that "uname=" thing came into there