[Fwd: Re: [Xen-users] File-backed VBDs Migration help]

James Bulpin wrote:

> Jonathan,
>
> If you only want migration for maintanence purposes then you could
> probably put up with a small downtime during the migration. How about
> having your "migrate" sequence as:
>
> xm save mydomain /path/mydomain.save
> rcp [or whatever] /path/mydomain.save otherhost:/path/mydomain.save
> rcp /path/mydomain-vbd.img otherhost:/path/mydomain-vbd.img
>
> then on otherhost:
>
> xm restore /path/mydomain.save
>
> (Disclaimer: I've not tried this but I can't see any reason why it
> wouldn't work.)
>
> Downtime would be dictated by the size of your save and vbd files and
> the speed of the network between the hosts.
>
> James

Thanks James,

I tried that out, and it appeared to work ok. The guest didn't pick up
the new time, but perhaps that's just how it works - I'm still rather
new to all this.

I would definitely prefer to not have the downtime associated with
copying the larger images across the network.
Do I have any other options that don't involve using a nfs server as a
single point of failure?

Thanks,
Jonathan.