Re: [Xen-users] make-kpkg

  • To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: Remi Broemeling <rbroemeling@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2005 17:43:55 -0600
  • Delivery-date: Thu, 23 Jun 2005 23:42:54 +0000

For the archives:

I was just encountering this problem.  Specifically, executing the command:

export PATCH_THE_KERNEL=YES && \
fakeroot make-kpkg --config=menuconfig --arch=xen \
--revision=1 --append-to-version=xen0 kernel_image

was giving me the error regarding "unknown Debian architecture xen,
you must specify GNU system type".  The solution was to blow away my
kernel tree (saving a backup of .config, of course), and then
decompress a clean tree, move .config back into place, and then run
the command.

Unsure what the problem was, exactly, but if the same issue occurs to
anyone else, the first thing to try is cleaning your kernel tree and
starting with a pristine one.  Hope this e-mail saves someone a little
time down the road somewhere. ;-)