Re: [Xen-users] how to migrate guest OS to other servers without xen installed

  • To: Andrew Thompson <andrewkt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: Jeremy Fang <balanceinfotech@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 29 Jun 2005 01:42:00 -0700 (PDT)
  • Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Delivery-date: Wed, 29 Jun 2005 08:40:55 +0000

Hi Andrew:

Wow, that is even simpler than I thought.

Thanks,

Jeremy

Andrew Thompson <andrewkt@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Jeremy Fang wrote:
> Hello Andrew:
>
> All my guest Operation Systems are bootable and all application running
> on the Guest Operation Systems are operational. What I want to acheive
> is to take the whole image of Guest OS including applications to migrate
> to anohter server which itself is not running xen so that the new server
> will be fully operational by not changing anything including the ip
> addresses etc.. I will make sure both will be running at the same time
> or in the same network.

Perhaps I overgeneralized...

Shut down the guest. Archive the partition(s) that the guest uses.
Transfer those archives to the new server. Unarchive them into their new
homes. Install kernel/bootloader. Reboot.

--
Andrew Thompson
http://aktzero.com/

Yahoo! Sports