Re: [Xen-users] Serious performance problems - is Xen not ready for production use?

<snip>

> When I had a closer look to the mem line:
> Mem:    257488K total,   255368K used,     2120K free,      128K buffers
>
> ...it looked strange to me. I checked and found my config file for this
> domain looking like this:

> memory = 128
> extra = "mem=268435456"

Well spotted!

> This was left over from my tries to get the "xm balloon" working. I
> removed the extra line from the config file - and voila, it works... Is
> this config above wrong at all or is the strange behaviour I found
> related to the bugs with balloon feature..?

The config line looks OK at first glance but...  I wonder what units the mem
parameter expects: if it expects KB then you've just caused it to allocate a
frame table for an absolutely *huge* physical memory, which would account for
all the real memory being allocated.

I can't guess any better without going through the code - it should hopefully
become apparent when someone fixes the ballooning problem (does anyone want
to volunteer for that, btw?  It'd be useful if someone could post a patch.).

Cheers,
Mark