Re: [Xen-users] Watchdog support in XEN?

On Tirsdag 26 juli 2005 22:13, Mark Williamson wrote:
> > So my question does XEN provide a "hardware" watchdog that the user
> > domains can use?
> > It might be safer that the counter and trigger resides in the XEN domain
> > than in the user domains.
>
> A sensible and straightforward way to do this would be to wait for the
> XenStore code to be fully merged, then set up an attribute in the XenStore
> which is written to periodically by the domU to say that it's live.  A
> daemon in dom0 can watch this and restart the domain if the attribute isn't
> updated for a while.  The hypervisor won't need to know about this.

This seems like a good idea. I expect that you have atomic writes in the
XenStore, so the dom0 deamon simply increments a timer that the domU needs to
reset once in a while. This could be written into the watchdog userspace
deamon that automatically detect that it's inside a virtual machine and not
directly on real hardware. What is the cleanest way to detect id you are
running in domU or not?

Regards,
--
Andreas Bach Aaen              System Developer, M. Sc.
Ericsson Danmark A/S           tel: +45 89 38 51 00