Re: [Xen-users] Watchdog support in XEN?

Mark Williamson wrote:
So my question does XEN provide a "hardware" watchdog that the user domains
can use?
It might be safer that the counter and trigger resides in the XEN domain
than in the user domains.

A sensible and straightforward way to do this would be to wait for the XenStore code to be fully merged, then set up an attribute in the XenStore which is written to periodically by the domU to say that it's live. A daemon in dom0 can watch this and restart the domain if the attribute isn't updated for a while. The hypervisor won't need to know about this.

forgive me if I'm misunderstanding something but it seems to me that one would want to use a hardware watchdog on dom0 so if the system should well and truly fail, an undeniable reset could be applied to the entire system. But if dom0 is healthy, then yes, a software watchdog in dom0 paying attention to and deciding when to reset the various domU's should be sufficient.

---eric