[Xen-users] Xen boot has poor screen resolution and fails to load X11

I tried sending this e-mail to the list earlier but no one replied...

Right, so I'm brand new to xen, and I've had success in making xen boot
(kernel /boot/xen-2.0.6.gz    module /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.11-xen0), but
there are a couple major issues.

1) The screen resolution.  I'm running a ThinkPad T30 (2366-92U, for
those who want to know), and all the text looks fuzzy.  I can literally
see horizontal lines pan upwards and watch the text get skewed by them.
It's rather disconcerting (not to mention bad for the eyes), and doesn't
happen when I boot into Gentoo normally.  How do I fix this?

2) X11.  So after Xen does its initializing business, it boots up the
Gentoo filesystem because I've put root=/dev/hda4 in my grub.conf.  When
it tries to start gdm, it fails completely.  How do I get Xen to support
X11?  As a tangent to this, all of Xen's binaries and such are installed
on the Gentoo filesystem, as the installation documentation didn't
specify that the files should go anywhere else.  Should Xen's files and
such have been installed to a completely new root filesystem, or is it
ok that Xen and Gentoo share?

-Ricardo-