Re: [Xen-users] Understanding networking with Xen

On Monday 01 August 2005 19:18, Dirk H. Schulz wrote:

> I did not succeed in getting both to work.
> I had to deactivate one of the NIC's device drivers in the kernel. Thank
> God is was a system with two different types of NICs.
>
> So what do I do with a system that has two IDENTICAL NICs?

I never had a problem like that, but the first thing I did after installing
xen was ditching the network setup scripts that came with it.

Maybe you could post the output of ifconfig -a, route, etc so we actually have
a chance to trace your problem?

> And where do I find in depth documentation of networking with Xen? I
> have read about the bridge in standard config, but found no hint on what
> else could be done.
> I would escpecially look for docs about
> - the VLAN feature,
> - filtering network traffic between the domUs,
> - how to use multiple NICs.

xen doesn't do much network-wise, it basically relies on standard linux
features for almost all of it, except the virtual network frontend/backends.

So the best place to start looking for in-depth documentation would be the
kernel documentation.
Look into /usr/src/linux/Documentation/networking/bridge.txt for bridging,
/usr/src/linux/Documentation/networking/alias.txt for ip-aliases

Starting point for vlan:
http://www.candelatech.com/~greear/vlan.html

for filering network traffic on a bridge, have a look at:
http://ebtables.sourceforge.net/

/Ernst